Kappel Wagon Shop. Proprietors Michael and John Kappel started manufacturing wagons and carriages in 1865 on the south side of 3rd St. between Plum and Potter Street in Red Wing, MN. They started in a frame building which was torn down in 1875 and replaced with a brick structure which still stands. The firm employed about 15 men and turned out about 100 wagons annually besides 60 buggies, sleighs, etc. The Kappel Shop was still operating in 1910 but went out of business soon after that.