Hotel Batlo, northeast corner of 4th and Plum St. This hotel building was constructed for Joseph Batlo in the summer of 1874 at a cost of $22,000. Batlo was born in France, came to Red Wing in 1859, and managed the Franklin House, The Goodhue House (which he purchased in 1863), and finally the hotel which bore his name. Regarded as the finest hotel in Red Wing at the time of its construction (a short lived distinction since the St. James Hotel opened a year later). The Hotel Batlo remained popular with Goodhue County farmers who came to Red Wing to trade their grain and appreciated the convenience of the well appointed stables to house their teams.